SCALP & BEARD MICROPIGMENTATION
Certified Scalp & Beard Micropigmentation Artist
Do you find your hairline receeding or hair thinning out exposing more scalp than you're used to? Imagine a perfect hairline, fuller appearance of hair without any down time and immediate results that does not require hair transplants or messy hair sprays.
A hair tattoo, scalp micro pigmentation (or SMP for short), is a medical, non-surgical, cosmetic tattoo that gives the illusion of a close buzz cut hairstyle on a bald head, adds density to a thinning hair line or bald patches. The procedure by penetrating pigment in “dots” to mimic hair follicles can also be used to conceal scars from hair transplants, hide the visual impact of burns, and conceals other superficial scars where hair tends to stop growing. Just like SMP, a procedure to replicate the appearance of hair, so that it looks as if you have, Beard Micropigmentation, or BMP for short, leaves a shadow of stubble behind. Once the treatment is complete, it will look like you have a full beard concealing the patches that naturally blend in with your existing hair.
Does SMP/BMP look fake?
The process is essentially tattooing, but on a different level than the body art you are used to seeing. However, the procedure is indistinguishable from that real. Using fine needles, and customizing the needle size to match your hair follicle, it can create the illusion of hair and blends in naturally making Micropigmentation unnoticeable to people.
Is SMP only for men?
Absolutely not, women can benefit from SMP where thinning and hair loss has occurred. The dots add density to the hair which can help women to camouflage areas of hair loss or thinning hair. Scalp micropigmentation offers a way to replicate the appearance of thicker hair regardless of whether you have short or long hair. There’s no invasive surgery, no scarring and no down time.
Does this work for any hairstyle?
It depends, SMP is customizable to the client. Meaning, there is no standard stencil to follow or shape for everyone. The goal of Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) for long hair is to shade the scalp which reduces the contrast of skin showing through the hair follicles. SMP treatment for long hair is a different process to that of a shaved head. The most common SMP treatment is for a shaved head, where the treatment mimics shaved hair follicles. However, scalp micropigmentation can also be used to add density to thin hair on the scalp for people with longer hair, SMP can be very effective for hiding hair loss with longer hair.
How long does it last? Is it permanent?
Scalp Micropigmentation is considered semipermanent. While the effects may last up to six to eight years, the treated area will fade over time since all skin naturally exfoliates itself. The degree of fading depends on several factors such as how your body responds to the micropigmentation and everyday lifestyle. Beard Micropigmentation can last up to 2- 4yrs as the skin elasticity is different compared to the scalp, facial skin tend to exfoliate faster resulting the facial area to fade faster than the scalp.
Does it damage hair follicles?
Scalp Micropigmentation does not damage your hair follicles! The Scalp Micropigmentation procedure is done by going in between your existing follicles to create depth and density. Even if pigment is deposited on a follicle, it does not damage.
Is it painful?
Overall any needle in the skin is not comfortable. Pain tolerance varies from person to person. SMP is not comparable to the discomfort of a regular tattoo. SMP/BMP technique is different from tattoo therefore, SMP/BMP has minimal discomfort and tolerable for most people. For Client comfort, numbing topical may be applied.
Is SMP/BMP for every skin tone/ethnicity?
Yes! Pigment is color matched with your natural hair follicle and can benefit anyone seeking SMP/BMP treatment for any ethnicity.
What can I expect after SMP/BMP?
Scalp/Beard Micropigmentation is non-invasive and requires no down time. In most cases, you will not need to take any extended time away from work, school, or other functions. After treatment it is common to notice slight redness, tenderness and flaking on the treated area for 2-3 days post session.
How long are each sessions and how many sessions does it take?
For best results, It can take Between 2-4 sessions The Scalp Micropigmentation treatment typically takes 2-4 hours per session depending on your degree of hair loss. Most clients can expect between 2-4 sessions to complete their treatment depending on the extent of hair loss or scarring. For Beard Micropigmentation, sessions typically are 2 sessions and takes between 1-2 hours per session. Both treatments are usually spaced about 10-21 days apart.
How long does it take to heal?
It usually takes around 7-10 days for the scalp/beard to fully heal. For the first few days, the area of treatment may appear red and will lessen each day.
Aftercare & what to avoid during the healing process
1. Dry Heal: Keep the treated area dry as you can during the healing process.
2. Avoid excessive sweating: Stay away from any saunas, steam rooms, things that may cause excessive sweating during the entire healing process. If sweating occurs, dab, not wipe, and gently pat with a paper towel to remove sweat.
3. Avoid sun exposure: wear a hat to protect the treated area to avoid sun burn during the entire healing process. Apply SPF 50+nce healed to protect and preserve the micropigmentation from fading.
4. Moisturize: As the pigment heals under the skin, superficial tiny flakes/scabs may form. After two days, apply moisturizer 2x a day, AM & PM. Do not pick flakes or scabs, let it naturally come off as doing so can prematurely lift skin and can damage the area.
5. Showering: While dry heal is best, we understand that hygiene is also important during the healing process, quick rinse of the treated area is ok to remove daily dirt but do not soak in water or have shower directly on treated area. Pat dry immediately to continue the “dry heal” method Do not use any shampoo or cleanser for the first 3 days of healing process. After Day 3, gentle shampoo such as Baby Shampoo is ok. Continue to moisturize.
6. Cutting Hair: Refrain from cutting or shaving the area until after 10 days.